To be eligible to represent your school in any VHSL interscholastic athletic contest, a student-athlete -
- must be a regular bona fide student in good standing of the school you represent.
- must be enrolled in the last four years of high school.
- must have enrolled not later than the fifteenth day of the current semester.
- for the first semester must be currently enrolled in not fewer than five subjects, or their equivalent, offered for credit and which may be used for graduation and have passed five subjects, or their equivalent, offered for credit and which may be used for graduation the immediately preceding year or the immediately preceding semester for schools that certify credits on a semester basis. Courses for which credit has already been awarded (being repeated for a better passing grade or better understanding) do NOT count for eligibility purposes.
- for the second semester must be currently enrolled in not fewer than five subjects, or their equivalent, offered for credit and which may be used for graduation and have passed five subjects, or their equivalent, offered for credit and which may be used for graduation the immediately preceding semester.
- must sit out all VHSL competition for 365 consecutive calendar days following a school transfer unless the transfer corresponded with a family move.
- must not have reached your nineteenth birthday on or before the first day of August of the current school year.
must not, after entering the ninth grade for the first time, have been enrolled in or been eligible for enrollment in high school more than eight consecutive semesters.
- must have submitted before any kind of participation, including tryouts or practice as a member of any school athletic or cheerleading team, an Athletic Participation/Parental Consent/Physical Examination Form, completely filled in and properly signed attesting that you have been examined during this school year and found to be physically fit for athletic competition and that your parents consent to your participation.
- must not be in violation of VHSL Amateur, Awards, All Star or College Team Rules.
Eligibility to participate in interscholastic athletics is a privilege you earn by meeting not only the above-listed minimum standards, but also all other standards set by the Virginia High School League, the school district and the school. If you have any question regarding your eligibility or are in doubt about the effect an activity might have on your eligibility, check with your Director of Student Activities (DSA) for interpretations and exceptions provided under League rules. Meeting the intent and spirit of League standards will prevent you, your team, school and community from being penalized.