Start Times Issue and Events
School Board Resolution
- On April 12, 2012, the School Board adopted a resolution on the goal of the Fairfax County School Board to start high schools after 8 a.m.
Request for Proposal (RFP)
- At a work session held on June 11, 2012, Facilities and Transportation Services staff recommended that the Board hire a consulting firm to perform research of school systems with later start times and prepare a specific plan for FCPS based upon that research.
- On July 26, 2012, the Board authorized staff to issue an RFP related to the draft Statement of Work for an action plan for later high school start times.
- The RFP was issued on September 6, 2012.
Selection Advisory Committee (SAC)
- On December 4, 2012, the appointed SAC met for an organizational meeting.
- On December 10, 2012, the SAC discussed the technical proposals and ranked them based upon the evaluation criteria established in the RFP.
- The SAC met on December 17, 2012, to evaluate the business proposals of the offerors.
- Negotiations were held on January 15, 2013, with the top ranked offeror, and on that date, the SAC Chairperson submitted a recommendation to award a contract to Children’s National Medical Center. Children’s National Medical Center agreed to the memorandum of negotiations on February 14, 2013.
Award of Contract
- On March 21, 2013, the School Board voted to approve a consulting services contract award to Children’s National Medical Center to assist the Board with the goal of establishing high school start times at 8 a.m. or later.