About Our School
Colin L. Powell Elementary School first opened its doors on September 2, 2003. We began with just over 600 students in grades K-6. Our families came from many countries with 47 languages being represented. By 2005, we had grown beyond the capacity of our building and added two quads (trailer units housing four classroom spaces). In 2009, we added a duplex trailer unit. We currently have over a thousand students enrolled at Powell and have transitioned from trailers to a self-contained modular unit.
Across our history, Colin L. Powell Elementary School, in collaboration with our PTA, has created strong traditions, while assuring that children have a safe, secure, and challenging learning environment. We continue to enjoy cultural diversity that enhances the learning experiences for our children. Our professional learning community is proud of its rich heritage of many cultures coming together to help children learn and grow.
Our Mission Statement
It is the mission of Colin Powell Elementary School to provide a safe and caring learning environment that embraces diversity. We set high expectations for academic and social excellence, and ensure that all individuals succeed in meeting these goals. As a total school community, we work together to meet individual student needs and to create experiences that promote the development of responsible, productive citizens and confident, life-long learners.
Our Core Values and Beliefs
To ensure academic success for all, the Colin Powell school community unites to make the following commitments:
- We will work collaboratively to make instructional decisions to support the learning of each child.
- We will challenge students to think critically and become problem solvers.
- We will support our students as they strive to be responsible, caring, respectful, honest, and cooperative.
- We will engage in meaningful professional development activities which support student success.
- We will respect, honor, and celebrate the cultural and educational diversity of our school community.
- We will acknowledge parents and community volunteers as partners in the educational process.