Let us help you prepare for your child’s entrance into Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS). Here
are some facts and procedures about our K-12 program:
- Children five years old by September 30 are eligible to enter kindergarten that school year. Parents of younger children can find resources through the FCPS early childhood program.
- A child who will be six years old on or before September 30 must attend school.
- A qualifying parent may elect to provide home instruction for his or her school-age child in lieu of school attendance. More information is also available by calling 571-423-4323.
- All schools offer full-day kindergarten programs.
- Most FCPS elementary schools offer grades K-6, most middle schools offer grades 7-8, and all high schools offer grades 9-12. Exceptions are noted in the school profiles page by typing in the name of the school.
- Find out which school your child will attend. The FCPS boundary locator service provides the names of the elementary, middle, and high schools assigned to each home in the county. To access the service by telephone, call 703-329-9831 and follow the instructions.
- Contact your child’s school to make arrangements for enrollment. Most schools begin getting information together in late March or early April for parents of incoming kindergartners, and many schools host an orientation or open house.
- You will need to register your child at the school he or she will attend. See: Registration Requirements.
- Registration Forms
- Student Registration, 703-204-6740 , provides school enrollment for:
- Students whose home languages are other than or in addition to English. (Multilingual registrars are available to help families with limited English proficiency.)
- Foreign exchange students and students requiring I-20 student visas.
- All students whose natural parents or legally adoptive parents do not reside in Fairfax County.
- Tuition-paying students.
- Students in foster care placed by other Virginia counties or by out-of-state agencies.
- Tuition is charged for students whose parents do not live in Fairfax County. Contact Student Registration at 703-204-6744 for enrollment of nonresident students.
- FCPS has implemented procedures for the enrollment of homeless students. Parents or guardians of families experiencing homelessness may contact Student Registration at 703-204-6744 or any Fairfax County public school for enrollment assistance.
- Additional registration information