Follow the steps below:
1. Print this page out so you can you can write answers as you do the activity.
2. Read the entire species page for the Brainworm Nematode.
3. What is a nematode?
4. What does "parasite" mean?
5. What does "host" mean?
6. What two species are the main hosts for the Brainworm Nematode?
7. Draw a diagram of the life cycle of a Brainworm Nematode. Include the two main hosts of the parasite, as well as any other hosts.
8. Describe the Brainworm Nematode's life cycle to a partner.
9. Now read the entire species page for The Big Red Worm.
10. How many stages does this nematode have in its life cycle?
11. How many main hosts does The Big Red Worm have? What kinds of animals are they?
12. What is a "transport host"?
13. Draw a diagram of The Big Red Worm's life cycle:
14. Describe The Big Red Worm's life cycle to a partner.
15. Do either the Brainworm Nematode or The Big Red Worm harm their hosts? Explain.