Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunities for Military Children
The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (MIC3) establishes a set of rules designed to remove barriers to educational success imposed on children of military families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents.
- The compact is currently in effect in Virginia and in 37 states and DoD schools.
- Armed with the appropriate information, most decisions about a transfer student can be made at the school level.
- Through the registration process, it is important to establish whether the MIC3 applies to the transferring student. If it does, special care should be taken to fully explore how the compact should be used.
The impacts generally fall into 4 categories:
- Enrollment (immunizations, Entrance Age, Records)
- Course/Grade Placement and Attendance (Program placement, Special Education Services, absences related to deployment)
- Eligibility (non-custodial parent, extracurricular participation)
- Graduation (course waivers, verified credits, transfer in senior year)
Contacts and Questions
Instructional Services Department
Department of Special Services
This web page contains links to one or more web pages that are outside the FCPS network. FCPS does not control the content or relevancy of these pages.