Student Instructions for Applying
1. Choose an Academy or Specialized Program
If you are applying for and plan to attend two (2) or more courses, a separate application and student statement is required for each course.
2. Complete the Application for Academy and Specialized Programs and the Student Statement
- All requested information should be provided on the application form, including e-mail addresses and phone numbers for both you (student) and your parent/guardian. This contact information is extremely helpful as student schedules are developed.
- If the course you want to take is offered at more than one location, your counselor will help determine which academy you should attend.
- A parent signature in not required on the application; however, be sure your parent/guardian is informed of your interest to attend an academy or specialized program.
- All students MUST write and submit a personal statement (one paragraph) describing their interest, experiences, and goals as they relate to the course for which they are applying. Guidelines as to what to include are stated on the form.
- You may use the electronic, fillable form to type the statement. Or, you may print a copy of the form and handwrite your statement.
- The content of the statement is the most important consideration (as opposed to grammar and spelling). Please make sure it is legible if it is handwritten. The paragraph should not exceed 350 words.
Download Application and Student Statement Forms
3. See Your School Counselor
- Meet with your counselor to review your academy/specialized program choice(s) and to complete the application.
- Give your counselor your printed or handwritten Student Statement.
- Your counselor will prepare an Application Packet to send to the academy/specialized program which will include your:
- Completed Application for Academy and Specialized Programs
- Completed Student Statement
- Student Transcript (including current year’s semester grades)
- Current Year’s Attendance Records
* And any additional documents as appropriate (see your counselor)
Your school counselor will send your completed application packet (including all required documents, items one through four above) to the appropriate location.
Application packets must be received at the academy or other specified location in MARCH of each school year.