The Outstanding First Year Teacher Award recognizes outstanding performance during the first year of teaching. The winner, finalists, and nominees are all recognized at the annual FCPS Honors awards ceremony. Only FCPS administrators may nominate a teacher for this award.
To be eligible for nomination, the teacher must:
- Hold a valid license and be appropriately endorsed in grade(s) or subject(s) taught.
- Have begun his or her teaching career on or after January 1, 2011.
- Have performed outstandingly, based on FCPS standards, during the initial year of teaching.
- Serve as a role model for other beginning teachers.
Nominees must be first year teachers who:
- Exhibit superior instructional skills.
- Interact exceptionally well with students.
- Demonstrate excellent ability to communicate with faculty, staff members, parents, and the community.