Eligibility to Ride School Bus
- The Code of Virginia, Section 22.1-176, permits local school boards to provide transportation for eligible students based upon acceptable walking distances, but does not require them to do so.
- Students may be required to walk to schools or bus stops up to:
- 1 mile for elementary students
- 1.5 miles for secondary students
- FCPS provides transportation as a service to students who reside in the designated school attendance area, but beyond the established walking distances.
- Exceptions are made for safety purposes and as defined in the School Board regulation for an exception to ride.
- Transportation is required for certain students with special needs as defined in federal law.