W2 Wage & Tax Statements

When are W-2’s mailed?
What information is on my W-2?
Why did I receive two(2) W-2’s?
Can I get a copy of my W-2?

When are W-2’s mailed?
W-2’s for the prior calendar tax year are mailed by January 31st of the following calendar year.  They are directed to the mailing address on file with FCPS at the end of the calendar tax year. [Top]

What information is on my W-2?
The yearly gross earnings figure reported on your last paycheck of the calendar year does not appear on the W-2. W-2’s report taxable wages not gross earnings.  Federal taxable wages in Box 1 on the W-2 represents annual gross earnings from your last December pay  advice or paycheck minus and plus the following:

Retirement Fund Contributions
Tax Deferred Account/403(b) Contributions
(TDA contributions are also indicated in box 12, letter E)
Section 457 Plan Contributions
           (Section 457 Plan contributions are also indicated in box 12 letter G)
Flex Fund Contributions (dependent and health care)**
(Dependent care contributions are also indicated in box 10)
Health Insurance Premiums**
Dental Insurance Premiums**

The taxable portion of employee-paid life insurance coverage in excess of $50,000.
(This amount, if any, is included in taxable wages in boxes 1, 3, 5, and 16, and appears as item "C" in box 12.)
** These items are also excluded from the Social Security and Medicare wages reported in boxes 3 and 5.
Employees who have had taxes withheld for more than one jurisdiction (i.e., Virginia and Maryland), will receive multiple W-2’s (one for each jurisdiction). [Top]

Why did I receive two(2) W-2’s?
If you had taxable wages and/or tax withholding for more than one jurisdiction (District of Columbia, Maryland including counties, Virginia and West Virginia), you received a W-2 with information for each jurisdiction.  One of the W-2’s will also include information for federal taxable wages and withholding, while the second W-2 will have nothing but asterisks in the federal portion as only one copy is needed for filing federal taxes. [Top]

Can I get a copy of my W-2?
Yes. FCPS will provide you a copy of your W-2 for any of the past five years. You may obtain a W-2 Reissue Request Form (FS73-66) on the Internet at http://www.fcps.edu/fs/payroll/forms/index.htm or by contacting the Office of Payroll Management at 571-423-3500.  Reissue request forms may be faxed to the Office of Payroll Management at 571.423.3507 or sent through the pony to Payroll Management, Gatehouse Administration Center, Suite 2200.  For current employees, a reissue will be emailed to your FCPS email account.  For prior employees, reissues may be mailed to the last address on file, to a new address if an address change is submitted along with the reissue request or picked up in person at the Office of Payroll Management.  Please allow five business days to process your request.  To request a copy of a W-2 that dates prior to five years ago, you will need to contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). [Top]







Payroll Links

Department of Human Resources Links

Access Your Personal Information


Contact Us:

Melissa Russell, Director Melissa.Russell@fcps.edu

Tori Escott, Administrative Assistant Tori.Escott@fcps.edu

Questions? E-Mail Payroll.Help@fcps.edu

Gatehouse Administration Center
8115 Gatehouse Road, Suite 2200
Falls Church, VA  22042

Webpage Curator

Melissa Russell

Last Updated

December 11, 2014