Pay Advices & Paychecks

How do I get my pay advice?

You will be sent your pay advice electronically in an email sent to your FCPS email address 3 days prior to payroll.  The email will have a pdf attachment that is your actual pay advice. If you currently do not receive your pay advice electronically, you can opt in  by filling out form FS73-11.  All biweekly employees will continue to be phased into receiving their pay advice by email in the future.

Is an electronic pay advice safe?

Yes, your pay advice is safe.  Your pay information is generated within the secure FCPS network and sent out over the same.  General security best practice standard considers that E-mailing within a secure enterprise network (in other words, from one FCPS e-mail address to another FCPS e-mail address) is as secure as the US Mail. That information does not travel over the Internet to reach your FCPS email account.

Can someone get my SSN and bank information off my email pay advice?

No.  Your SSN is not printed on your pay advice.   While the bank routing number displays in full so that you can confirm your money went to the correct financial institution your account numbers are masked except for the last 4 digits.

What do I do with my pay advice attachment after I review it?

If you want to print a paper copy for your file, you can do that.  Open the pdf attachment and print as you normally would.  If you wish to store the pay advice you can copy it to your home share drive or store it on your personal storage device (flash drive).  The pay information available now on Uconnect will continue to be available.

Can I delete it from my in-box permanently?

Yes, you can delete the email and the attachment permanently by holding down the “shift” key while pressing the “delete” key.

Who can see my electronic pay advice email?

Only you should see your email but please remember that your files and e-mail on the FCPS network are not private and may be accessed by personnel with legitimate business or educational need-to-know.

What information should I review on my pay advice?

Your pay advice provides important information applicable to the pay period and is broken down into separate areas for easy reviewing:

  • Hours & Earnings: Includes detailed information on the types of pay and leave (e.g. Regular Pay, Sick Leave, Overbase, Overtime, etc)
  • Tax Deductions: Includes detailed information on federal, state and county/city taxes as applicable (e.g. Federal Income Tax, Social Security and Medicare, State Income Tax, Maryland county/city Tax).
  • Pre-Tax Deductions: Includes deductions that are not subject to FICA-O (Social Security) and FICA-M (Medicare) taxes (e.g. Health, Dental and Flexible Spending accounts).
  • Tax Deferred & Post-Tax Deductions: Includes tax deferred deductions (e.g. retirements, 403b’s and 457’s) that are not taxed until paid out at a later date; includes all other post-tax deductions (e.g. Long Term Care, Professional Dues, charitable contributions.
  • Leave Balances: Displays Sick and/or Annual Leave balances; Personal Leave is not shown separately but is included in the Sick Leave balance.
  • Tax Status: Displays tax withholding marital status, resident tax state and Maryland county/city if appropriate, number of exemptions and additional withholding amounts as applicable for federal, state and Maryland county/city as appropriate.


My check was never received/lost/damaged/thrown away by mistake.  How do I get a replacement check?

You must first complete a Request for Stop Payment of Payroll Check (form FS73-54) and submit it to the Office of Payroll Management.  Stop Payment requests will not be accepted until three (3) business days after the published pay date.  It generally takes up to 5 business days for the bank to accept the Stop Payment and a replacement check to be generated.  To avoid similar problems in the future, please complete a Direct Deposit Authorization Agreement (form FS73-12) and submit it to the Office of Payroll Management to have your pay directly deposited to a banking institution.

How can I get a copy of my pay advice?

You may obtain prior pay period details online via UConnect.  After logging on, select the Employee Tab at the top of the page, then select Pay, and then select Pay Checks.  You may then select payment details from July 1999 to current.

I am a monthly employee. Why isn't my pay equal to the number of hours worked multiplied by my hourly rate?

The number of hours on your pay stub is used to calculate your sick leave accrual but is not used to calculate your monthly pay.
As a monthly employee, your annual salary is divided and paid to you in equal parts based on the length of your contract – 1/10th over 10 months (September through June), 1/11th over 11 months (August through June) or 1/12th over 12 months (July through June). 

I am a bi-weekly employee. How is overtime reflected on my pay stub?

You can calculate your total overtime pay by adding the amount shown on the overbase line plus the amount shown on the overtime line. The total of the overbase line plus the overtime line is your total overtime pay.

I am a bi-weekly employee. I usually work 35 hours per week but this week I worked two additional hours, or 37 hours total. Why wasn't I paid overtime?

As a bi-weekly employee, you do not receive overtime pay until the total number of hours worked during the week exceeds 40 hours.
For example, if you normally work 35 hours per week but have worked an additional 2 hours in a given week, then you have worked a total of 37 hours. Because the total number of hours worked is still less than 40, you are paid your regular hourly rate for the additional 2 hours worked.
If you normally work 35 hours per week but have worked an additional 6 hours in a given week, then you are paid your regular hourly rate for the first 5 additional hours worked. You are then paid at the overtime rate for the last hour that you worked, since this hour put you over the 40 hour limit, assuming no leave was taken.

What does FICA-O and FICA-M mean on my paycheck?

FICA-O and FICA-M are Social Security taxes. FICA-O stands for FICA Old Age Survivors Benefit, and FICA-M stands for FICA Medicare.


Payroll Links

Department of Human Resources Links

Access Your Personal Information


Contact Us:

Melissa Russell, Director

Tori Escott, Administrative Assistant

Questions? E-Mail

Gatehouse Administration Center
8115 Gatehouse Road, Suite 2200
Falls Church, VA  22042

Webpage Curator

Melissa Russell

Last Updated

December 11, 2014