Advisory Committee for Students with Disabilities
Making Public Comment
at Meetings of the Advisory Committee for Students with Disabilities
Time is set aside at each meeting of the Advisory Committee for Students with Disabilities for public comment, and the committee looks forward to hearing from parents, educators, students, and the greater Fairfax County community. Speakers should keep the following guidelines in mind when making public comment:
- Each public comment is limited to 3 minutes.
- Written copies are always welcome. Single copies can be handed to the secretary and multiple copies—about 35—can be distributed to ACSD members. Copies can be made at the meeting.
- Time constraints and agendas do not allow the ACSD to respond directly to public comment during the public comment period or the meeting.
- The topics of all public comment are included in the ACSD’s annual report to the Fairfax County School Board, and all public comments relevant to its annual work plan are also cited.
- Public comment will become part of the public record and accessible to anyone wishing to review the minutes of ACSD meetings. Speakers are free to withhold information they do not wish to make public.
- Speakers are encouraged to speak to the ACSD co-chairs or members before and after the meetings. ACSD members can help speakers navigate the special education system but they cannot solve child or school-specific problems.
- Fairfax County Public Schools staff serves as consultants and liaisons to the ACSD. If the public comment involves student- or school-specific information, staff will follow up on public comment with the speaker and the school involved in the issue.
ACSD members can be reached by contacting the Parent Resource Center at 703-204-3941, or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (put ACSD in the subject line).
Upcoming meeting dates >
Special Education homepage >