November 16, 2011
Next Issue: December 7
Deadline for Articles: Wednesday, November 30
Thank you for working to provide a quality education for all children in FCPS.
On November 8 the voters of Fairfax County overwhelmingly approved the 2011 school construction bond referendum. (get details)
Watch this SchoolScene video to learn about the work of Michelle Direnzo, procedural support liaison. (watch video)
Retirement Savings Plan Limits to Increase in 2012
In 2012, for the first time in three years, there will be increases in Internal Revenue Service (IRS) dollar limits for pre-tax contributions to FCPS retirement savings plans—403(b) Tax-Sheltered Accounts and the 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan. (get details)
Free Financial Seminar—2011 Tax Strategies, Preparation, and Tips—Set for December 13 at Gatehouse
Apple Federal Credit Union is sponsoring a free financial education seminar—2011 Tax Strategies, Preparation, and Tips—for FCPS employees on Tuesday, December 13, noon to 1 p.m., at Gatehouse Administration Center. (get details)
There are many factors and variables that influence the way we listen. In this course, you'll discover how roadblocks such as distractions, emotions, and the way in which we communicate can influence the way we listen and receive messages, as well as strategies that you can use to avoid these roadblocks and improve your listening skills. (get details)
About Our People
Read about your colleagues' accomplishments. (go)
FCPS Employees Wanted as Student Mentors
Since 1999, Fairfax County Public Schools has had a program—MentorWorks—to connect caring, responsible adults with students. MentorWorks is currently looking for FCPS employees who want to become mentors. (get details)
FCPS Online Classifieds System Free for Employees
The FCPS Online Classifieds system is a free way for employees to post ads for personally owned items that they are seeking to buy, sell, rent, or give away, to find a roommate, or to share a ride to work. (get details)
Call for Coaches
The latest position openings are posted. (go)
Other News and News of Continuing Interest
- Washington Mill Elementary School, one of 30 FCPS schools in the Priority Schools Initiative (PSI), a program that provides additional support to schools in order to help them close the achievement gap and meet benchmarks for student achievement, is the first to be awarded the PSI Banner, which recognizes schools that build pride, create synergy, and honor innovation. (get details)
- The ERFC Retirement System is pleased to announce the launch of ERFCDirect—a new online service that provides members and retirees direct and secure access to their individual retirement plan information. (get details)
- The October State of the Schools Report, which discusses school facility news, appeared in the Connection Newspapers during the week of October 27. Learn how FCPS is working to become more environmentally efficient and how the school system makes its facilities available to many different community organizations throughout the year.
- FCPS uses a virtual private network (VPN) to allow its employees to access school system computer network resources when they are not at an FCPS site. (get details)
- Recent changes and additions to School Board directives that have been made effective within the last 45 days can be found online. (get details)
Introducing the Individual Excellence and Collaborative Team Excellence Awards
FCPS is excited to annouce the creation of the new Individual Excellence and Collaborative Team Excellence Awards. These awards recognize the efforts and achievements of employees whose job performance produces exceptional results that support the mission and vision of FCPS. (get details)
HR Wellness is again offering all FCPS employees an opportunity to take part in the Maintain, Don’t Gain Holiday Fitness Challenge. Last year, more than 2,200 employees participated. Registration is now open and continues until November 22. The fitness challenge begins November 23 and ends January 4, 2012. (get details)
Nicole Choiniere-Kroeker Named News Liaison of the Month for October
Nicole Choiniere-Kroeker, librarian at Franklin Sherman Elementary School, has been named the News Liaison of the Month for October by the Department of Communications and Community Outreach (DCCO).
Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving and the beginning of the holiday shopping season, can be thrilling and stressful at the same time. Because stores are offering drastically marked-down prices on in-demand items, big crowds and long lines are to be expected. Check out these tips to help make your shopping spree successful and make it through the mall without being pummeled by other shoppers looking for a good deal. (get details)
People on the Move
Learn who has been promoted, recently hired, or transferred to a new location. (get details)
Leadership Development Cohort Information Meetings to Be Held in January
Applications are now available for the 2011 FCPS Leadership Development Program. The program is designed for high-performing central office and school-based (non-teachers or administrative) personnel and who show an interest and have demonstrated the skills necessary to pursue leadership opportunities within FCPS. Information meetings about the program will be held on January 5 and 9. (get details)
To view a promotional clip from this week's show, click here. (Note: Due to a new file format for FCPS videostreams, either QuickTime or Windows Media Player is required to view the videos listed below, depending on your computer settings.) Some of this week's stories include:
- Student Achievement Goals-World Languages.
- Student Achievement Goals-Fine and Practical Arts.
- Camp CTE (Career and Technical Education).
- Interview with Dave Jagels, Principal, Mountain View.
- Interview with Jack Dale: Increasing Enrollment.
Important Notice for Supergram Article Submissions
Article submissions for Supergram should be sent to Andy Grunig at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, Grunig can be reached at 571-423-1212. Please Note: The Career Quest (formerly Job Opportunities) publication and web pages are provided by the Department of Human Resources.
The percentage of the FY12 budget spent on instruction. Other categories include Transportation-5.5%; Facilities Management-4.2%; and General Support-4.5%. (get details)
Quote to Note
"Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare. They are consumed in twelve minutes. Halftimes take twelve minutes. This is not a coincidence."
- 2011-12 Calendar of Noteworthy Events
- FCPS calendar of cultural and religious observances
- Calendar of school-sponsored events that are open to the public
- School Board calendar
- Printer-friendly version (PDF)
- How to submit articles
- Production schedule
- Past Issues Archive
- Contact the editor