Recruiting Business Partners
- Faculty conducts a school needs assessment and reviews school improvement plan to determine how a business partner can help the school achieve its goals.
- School forms a steering committee to target a potential business partner that could meet the needs identified.
- Businesses are targeted based on:
- location or proximity to the school,
- compatible business services to school needs, and
- recommendations based upon individual school needs.
- School checks with Office of Business and Community Partnerships (BCP) (571-423-1225) before contacting companies to avoid duplication.
- If there is interest, CEO identifies coordinator for the company.
- Principal, school coordinator (if applicable), and business coordinator meet to discuss specific ideas.
- Joint steering committee is formed from school and business to meet monthly. Representatives should attend a partnership training session offered by BCP.
- Steering committee develops specific, measurable objectives and projected activities for the year.
School Needs Assessment Should:
- Gather information about the needs of the teachers, the students, and the school community.
- Identify how to utilize community resources effectively.
- Establish priorities.
- Determine the focus of the partnership program.
- Integrate partner's resources into the school improvement plan.
Partner Resource Assessment Should Consider:
- What are the available resources - people, facilities, equipment - and how do you wish to use them in the partnership program?
- What are the skills, both professional and personal, that the employees possess?
- Which divisions of the business/military/organization, i.e., mortgage-loan department, international division, data processing, food service, etc., are willing to participate?
- Does the company have recreational, cultural, and/or civic programs?
- Does the partner have a training and staff development department or programs, videos, materials, etc. that would be useful for the partnership?
- Can the partner accommodate students for field trips?
- What resources are available for providing incentive awards? career awareness? tutoring? community service projects? club sponsorships? mini-courses?
- What are the factors that will limit your program?
- Will employee involvement be during and/or after normal working hours?
- Which employees will be able to participate in the partnership?
- Does the partner have company publications, reports, product information, strategic plan, or goals and objectives, which can be made available to the school?