About West Potomac High School
Contact Info & Hours
Main Office: 703.718.2500
Main FAX: 703.718.2652
Office Hours: 7:30am-4pm
School Hours: 8:10am-2:55pm
Map & Directions
To cultivate ethical scholarship, leadership, motivation, and strength from which to achieve excellence.
The West Potomac High School community provides rigorous, relevant, and engaging learning experiences to prepare students to be empowered citizens in an ever-changing global society by monitoring, measuring, analyzing, and modifying instruction to ensure that all students meet their academic potential across the spectrum of learners.
- in shared responsibility for success in education
- each student will have the opportunity and the access to rigorous curriculum
- that an atmosphere of mutual respect is essential
- students, parents, and teachers need to develop trusting relationships
- it is the responsibility of faculty and administration to provide engaging learning experiences; of students to be engaged; of parents and community to provide support through an active partnership
- that technology should be infused across the curriculum and assessments
- in implementing a professional learning community that intensifies efforts for an educational environment that advances innovation and challenges the status quo
- students need to have opportunities to learn and practice good citizenship that is modeled by faculty, staff, administrators, and parents
- communication within the school and between school community is key to successful academic and other learning experiences
- students learn best when provided with teaching methods that support their needs
- high individual expectations are needed and based on each student and CAN be met
Located near the Potomac River between George Washington’s Mount Vernon mansion and the City of Alexandria, West Potomac High School (WPHS) was established in 1985 by combining two existing schools and communities. The school's motto is: Excellence is a Tradition, and WPHS has always been known for expecting a high level of academic and personal achievement. Drawing from an area that is economically, racially, and ethnically mixed, WPHS serves one of the most widely diverse student bodies in northern Virginia. Students come from more than 50 countries and speak 35 different languages in their homes. Socioeconomic and ability levels are just as widely spread. Staff members and students alike benefit from this cross-cultural experience. West Potomac's diversity is an asset to celebrate and explore.
West Potomac High School maintains a close relationship with the community, local businesses, and the middle and elementary schools in its pyramid. It continues to implement effective up-to-date programs for the academic and extracurricular needs of all of the students it serves and for the entire pyramid. West Potomac offers a diversified and challenging academic program for all students, as well as a wide variety of college preparatory courses, including a wide variety of Advanced Placement classes and many professional technical studies programs. The students perform hundreds of hours of community service and participate in a vibrant and renowned cultural arts program. More than half of our student body is actively involved in more than fifty extra-curricular clubs, music and sports programs.
As West Potomac implements small professional learning communities throughout the school, it continues to change and meet the challenges of preparing students for a global economy in the 21st century.