Attendance Line 703-846-8080
School begins promptly at 7:50 AM (Warning Bell at 7:45 AM) and ends at 2:45 PM.
Ensuring our students are given every opportunity to be successful is a key component of Thoreau’s mission; thus, attendance and timeliness are of utmost importance. Students should make every effort to be prompt and present, so each one of our students can reach his/her fullest potential.
Absent from School:
1. Call 703-846-8080 (Attendance Message Line) on the morning of the absence.
2. Provide name, caller’s name/relationship to student, date/time, and reason for absence.
3. If students will be absent for more than one day, a call must be made each day.
4. Students should complete a Thoreau Absentee Sheet when they return to school.
5. Email is NOT an acceptable for of reporting an absence.
Pre- Arranged Absences:
1. Call 703-846-8080 (Attendance Message Line) in advance of your child’s planned absence.
2. Provide name, caller’s name/relationship to student, date/time, duration, and reason.
3. Student should complete a Thoreau Absentee Sheet in advance of the planned absence
so that they don’t fall behind on class work.
4. It is not necessary to call in everyday for a pre-arranged absence.
5. Email is NOT an acceptable form of reporting a pre-arranged absence.
Late to School:
1. Students arriving late to school must report directly to the office.
2. An excused tardy is given for illness with a note or prior phone call from a parent/guardian,
a medical/dental appointment, late school bus, or family emergency.
3. An unexcused tardy is given for a missed bus, heavy traffic, oversleeping or a reason which
is unconfirmed by parent/guardian.
4. Email is NOT an acceptable form of reporting late.
Early Release from School:
1. Prior to 7:50 AM, the student must present a note from the parent or guardian to the
attendance office. The note must include the reason for leaving school and a contact
number for the person writing the note. Providing a note is optimal as it creates the least
amount of disruption to the classroom. An early check-out pass will be issued to the
2. Parents must come into the office to sign out their child. Students must check back in at
the office upon their return.
3. Students who leave school without checking out properly will be marked “unexcused” and
may face disciplinary action.
Tardy to Class:
1. Students are to be in their classrooms/seats (dependent upon classroom policy) when the
bell rings to begin the class period. Excessive tardiness may result in a detention with the
teacher. Habitual tardiness may result in other disciplinary action.
2. Remember, students must make contact with all teachers for any classes missed. (Time to
Soar is a GREAT opportunity!)
3. Regularly check each course’s FCPS-24/7-Learning Blackboard site.
1. FCPS regulation requires a letter for 5 unexcused absences. Any further unexcused
absences require intervention.
2. A letter will be sent home if a student is absent 10 or more days whether excused or
unexcused. Medical documentation may be required for future absences.
3. A letter will be sent home every 5 tardies (excused or unexcused).
4. Subsequent letters will be sent home in increments of 5 continued morning tardies.