A child may enter kindergarten if he/she has reached age 5 on or before September 30 of the year he or she enters.
Virginia law, Sections 22.1-254, requires that children who will reach their fifth birthday on or before September 30 must be enrolled in school unless the parent or guardian notifies the principal in writing that they do not wish the child to attend school until the following year. A child who will be six on or before September 30 must attend school.
Registration forms are available online or in the school office. In addition to completing registration forms, parents must provide the following;
1. Proof of residency: A deed, lease agreement, or resident manager's letter is acceptable. If the family is living in the residence of a friend or relative, the homeowner/leaseholder must provide a notarized affidavit accompanied by the lease or deed. An affidavit by the parent stating his/her residence and supporting documents to that effect are also required as evidence of non-temporary residence.
2. Proof of birth/citizenship: An original birth certificate is required for all students. If a birth certificate is not available, an affidavit with substantiating documentation is required for all students.
3. Physical examination and health documentation: A Virginia School Entrance Health Form MCH-213 E (PDF File) available in school offices or online completed by a US-licensed physican of US -licensed nurse practitioner within the last 12 months prior to starting kindergarten is required before the child may enter school.
Immunization requirements : The code of Virginia requires every child to be immunized. Official documentation includes complete dates (month, day, year) for the following:
- DPT, DtaP, Td, DT (diphteria, pertussis, tetanus) : a minimum of three (3) doses with one (1) dose given after the fourth birthday unless the student had six (6) doses before the fourth birthday
- OPV, IPV (Polio): a minimum of three (3) doses with one (1) dose given after the fourth birthday unless the student had four (4) doses before the fourth birthday
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella): one (1) on or after the first birthday with a second dose of measles or MMR prior to kindergarten entry
- Hepatitis B: a minimum of three (3) doses with at least 4 months between first and last dose for all students born on or after January 1, 1994.
- Varicella (chicken pox): one (1) dose given on or after the first birthday for all students born on or after January 1, 1997 except for children who have evidence of immunity as demonstrated by laboratory confirmation of immunity or a reliable medical history of the disease
- HIB (Haemophilus influenzae type B) : age appropriate schedule for children up to 30 months of age
Tuberculosis screening requirements: For all students who have resided in a foreign country (with the exception of Canada, the countries of Western Europe, Australia, and New Zealand) during the last three years for a consecutive period of five or more months, one of the following is required:
- Evidence of a negative PPD tuberculin skin test within 90 calendar days prior to registration certified by a licensed physician or department of health.
- Evidence of a normal (negative) chest X-ray taken within 90 calendar days prior to registration.
- Documentation of a negative symptom screen or risk assessment from the health department or private physician for students who:
- Present written documentation of having completed prophylaxis treatment for tuberculosis.
- Have been enrolled in any U.S. public school immediately prior to enrollment in Fairfax County and have a documented history of a positive PPD and a negative chest X-ray.
- Have a history of a positive PPD and a negative chest X-ray more than 90 calendar days prior to registration.
Students may be conditionally enrolled in FCPS if they present a temporary medical waiver (not to exceed 30 days) of either a PPD or chest X-ray.
4. School Health Information Form : Parents will also be requested to complete a School Health Information form (PDF) at the time of enrollment, and annually each fall to keep the school advised of any changes in a child's health needs.
Meet & Greet Activities sponsored by the PTA
PTA related events to support children and parents of rising kindergartners
May 16th from 6pm-7pm
Kindergarten Meet & Greet
Opportunity to meet other rising kindergarten students. PTA Meeting starts at 7pm in Llibrary.
June 3rd 2pm-3pm
Kindergarten Mini-Tour of Providence ES (meets in Library)
Mini tour of the various classrooms and resource rooms in the school
July 17th 6pm-7pm
Kindergarten Meet & Greet
Opportunity to meet other rising kindergarten students.
August 15th 9am-10am
Kindergarten Courtyard Safari
(meets in the main lobby)
Fun activities and popsicles in the courtyard with a mini tour of a school bus
September 3rd 8:10am-9:10am
Tears & Cheers
(meets in the cafe)
Jesse Kraft, Principal and PTA welcomes parents to join them for light refreshemtns in the cafe immediately following the start of school
**PTA will also hold STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) Events and Reading Celebrations throughout the summer. Dates to follow.
Virtual Tour of Kindergarten