After School at Longfellow
Longfellow’s doors are open to your children, even after the last bell rings at 2:45 PM! Our faculty and staff, parents and community are partners in our dedication to providing children the best possible educational environment -- including after the school day is over. Through our after-school opportunities at Longfellow, we hope your children will view their school as not only a great place to learn, but a place to develop new interests, make good friendships and have fun in the process.
With that in mind, we offer three different after-school options for students:
1. Academic Assistance
2. After-school weekly Clubs and Activities
3. The Homework Club daily program
These options are explained in more detail below. In addition, please note the following guidelines about staying after school at Longfellow:
- Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays are club/activity days. After dismissal, participating students must report directly to their specific activity by 2:45 p.m.
- Late bus transportation is offered on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. After-school clubs/activities dismiss at 3:50 p.m. and late buses depart 10 to 20 minutes later. If your child is considerably late returning home on a late bus, please contact the Office of Transportation Services at Area 4, 703-249-7100. After 5:00 PM you can also call School Security at 571-423-2000.
- In case of early closing due to inclement weather or emergency conditions, all after-school activities will be cancelled and all bus students will be sent home on their regular buses.
- The same school rules apply after school as during the regular part of the school day. Students must be in good standing to participate in after-school activities and must be passing in all core subjects. Disciplinary problems may result in suspension from after-school activities.
1. Academic Assistance
Our mission is to ensure the success of each member of the Longfellow family. All of our teachers are available at least one day a week to meet after school with students who would like extra academic help. All teachers’ doors are open on Mondays from 2:50 to 3:50 p.m. In addition, many teachers can meet with students on other days; you or your child may contact the teacher to find out their after-school availability. Please note that if your child plans to take the late bus home, they are expected to remain in the classroom until 3:50 p.m.
2. After-School Clubs and Activities
Middle School is an exciting time for children to discover and explore new interests, and at Longfellow we encourage them to do so by offering a wide variety of after-school clubs and activities. This is also a wonderful way for students to make new friendships and have some fun while they learn!
After School Clubs and Activities Schedule
Clubs usually meet once a week, on Mondays, Wednesdays or Thursdays from 2:45 to 3:45 p.m. For more information about a particular club, please contact the club sponsor.
Intramurals are scheduled throughout the year. Please check with Mr. Berkheimer if you have any questions. All students in good standing will be eligible to participate in intramurals.
Service Learning (Community Service) Hours -- Important information for 8th graders.
Riding a Different School Bus Home
If your student is going home with another student, both sets of parents are required to send a signed permission note to the office by 12:00 p.m. on the day your student will be riding a different bus. Your student will then receive a pass from the main office that will allow him or her to board a different bus.
If you want your student to ride a different bus on a regular basis (even short-term), please send in a signed permission note that lists the exact dates your student needs to board another bus. Your student will then receive a pass to board the bus for these dates. The bus transportation phone number is 703-249-7100 for any issues with bus transportation.