High School English Department
Grade 9 Course Overview
Literature-Elements and Genre
- Literary elements in fiction: character, plot, setting, tone, point of view, and theme
- Relationship of sound, style, image, and historical context to meaning
- Read critically with emphasis on identifying main ideas, verifying accuracy of information, following instructions, moving from literal to abstract meaning.
- Write to establish purpose to inform, explain, analyze, entertain and persuade
- Compose, draft, revise, and edit a variety of forms
- Use correct grammar with an emphasis on proofreading skills.
- Use oral language with an emphasis on planned oral presentations.
- Distinguish primary form secondary sources.
- Recognize ethics of appropriate documentation and the impropriety of plagiarism.
- Apply appropriate style sheet (MLA or APA) for citing secondary sources.
Assessment - Emphasis on performance assessments and rubric scoring comparable to SOLs
- objective tests
- oral reports
- writing to a prompt
- standardized testing preparation (PSAT, SAT, SOL)
- analytical and creative writing
Literature Anthology Elements of Literature Language & Composition Elements of Writing Vocabulary Study Vocabulary Workshop Level D
Core Reading - All forms are taught, but titles may vary.
Novel Night Drama Romeo and Juliet Poetry The Odyssey
In addition to these core works, from a variety of novels, poems, short stories, and essays, teachers will select works that they feel best meet their needs and the essential questions being addressed.
Writing to a prompt
Responses to Literature