Attendance Policies and Procedures
When your child is absent for the entire day:
- It is your responsibility to call and excuse your child's absence on the day that it occurs.
- Full day absences not called in by telephone must be excused in writing within 48 hours of the student's return to school.
- Recorded absences not excused within 48 hours will remain unexcused.
- Excused absences are limited to the following:
- Illness of student
- Medical or dental appointments
- Attending religious observances
- Death in the family
- Suspensions (in most cases)
- Approved pre-arranged absences
- Requests to excuse absences that are not covered in the list above should be made in advance directly to the SUBSCHOOL PRINCIPAL
When your child is late to school, (after 7:25 a.m.):
- He/she must take a note and report to their Subschool Office to sign in and receive a pass to class. The tardy will be identified as either excused or unexcused. A phone call to the subschool administrative assistant may be made if a note is not possible :
|SS1 - 8th grade
|SS2 - 7th grade
|SS3 - HS A-D
|SS4 - HS E-K
|SS5 - HS L-Q
|SS6 - HS R- Z
- To excuse a late arrival, send a note stating why the student is tardy or call the subschool. The same policy applies to excusing tardies as it does for full day absences.
- Tardies not excused within 48 hours will be recorded as unexcused.
- Oversleeping, car trouble, missing rides or heavy traffic are not reasons to excuse a late arrival.
When your child needs to leave school early, the student should bring a note to their SUBSCHOOL Administrative Assistant IN THE MORNING BEFORE CLASS to be excused:
- You must provide permission to have your child leave school grounds before 2:10 p.m. dismissal. Students, who leave campus without permission, will be subject to disciplinary procedures as stated in the FCPS Students Rights and Responsibilities.
- You may request that your child be permitted to leave campus by sending a written note. Notes will be confirmed by phone from the subschool office. Please include a number where we can reach you. Phone call requests will be processed at 9:00a.m. and 12:30 p.m.only.
- Students leaving school prior to 2:10 p.m. must sign out through their subschool office. Failure to do so will result in the student receiving an unexcused absence.
When your child has an absence that is planned:
- College visits, out of town trips, etc., may be excused by submitting a note to the subschool office three (3) days prior to the absence.
- A pre-arranged absence form will be given to your child, which they will take and have each teacher sign in order to received work that will be missed.
- Completed forms are then returned to the subschool Assistant Principal for approval
Your child's make-up work:
- Make-up work will receive credit only if the absence is excused
- It is your child's responsibility to contact teachers to inquire about missed assignments.
return to top