New Student Registration
To enroll at Herndon High School, please call the Registrar at 703-810-2223 for an appointment. Please call as soon as you have moved into the area. We look forward to meeting you and your student(s). Please download much of the needed information by following the steps below.
Registration involves completing a number of forms. FCPS has simplified this by creating electronic form bundles. Most of the forms parents need to fill out are available online in bundles. Within a bundle, once you enter a parent's name, for example, that name appears automatically on every other form in the bundle. This makes completing forms much easier. Please click here for the bundle of forms commonly needed by students new to FCPS. Families who know they are moving into the Herndon area are encouraged to follow the steps below.
- 1. Make sure Herndon HS is the school serving your attendance area. (Click here for the School Boundary Locator System).
- 2. You may need the assistance of the Student Registration Office if...
- a. ...your home language is other than English or the documents needed for school registration were issued in a foreign country. You may apply for enrollment in grades kindergarten through 12 and also in the Family and Early Childhood Education Program (FECEP/Head Start).
- b. ...you are a guardian or legal custodian of a child and the parents do not reside in Fairfax County.
- c. ... your child will be enrolled on a tuition-paying basis.
- d. ... you are the host parent of an exchange student.
- e. ... you have a child in foster care from another Virginia county or another state.
To make an appointment to registration at the Student Registration Office, please call at least a week in advance so the staff will be available to assist you. Call 703-668-0690 to register at the Lake Anne-Reston Registration Office, 11484 Washington Plaza, West, Suite 310, Reston, Virginia. (Click here for more information).
- 3. Call the Student Services office for an appointment to register at 703-810-2223. There are no walk-in appointments. Make sure you have the needed documents. (Click here for a list of required documents.)
- 4. All families of High School students must complete required forms (Available also in the bundle here). If you are able to bring the completed forms, registration will go quickly. If you are not able to download the forms, you will need to complete them on site.
- · Proof of Residency: Lease, Deed or Residency Affidavit (Download these forms.)
- · Student Registration Form, Part A & Part B (Download this form.)
- · Health Information Form (Download this form.)
- · Emergency Care Information (Download this form)
- · Home Language Survey (Download this form.)
- · Criminal Conviction and Juvenile Delinquency Adjudication Affirmation (Download this form)
- · State Health Form (Download this form)
- · Request for Student Records (Download this form.)
Please note: There are other forms to be completed at the school that are not available online.
- 5. Students entering during the academic year (September - early June) must also complete and bring these required forms. Students entering during the summer will be required to complete these forms with the rest of their class at the beginning of the year.
- · Student Rights & Responsibilities (Read the entire document.)
Parents will be asked to sign an Acknowledgement of Parental Responsibility on receipt of this publication. It is to your advantage to know what it contains.
- 6. For course registration, it is helpful to have information that shows your high school course work and descriptions of all classes, whether completed or in progress. Grades for previous work and current work is also helpful. If possible, please provide:
- · A transcript, unofficial is fine.
- · Current course grades if academic year transfer.
- · Recommendations that may help in the course selection process.
- 7. Students interested in athletics are required to submit a completed Virginia High School League (VHSL) athletic physical form. Download this form. in English or in Spanish. (This is a VHSL form, which is not available on the FCPS site.) The VHSL does not accept camp physical forms, the Commonwealth of Virginia School Health Entrance Form or any other physical forms. The physical must be completed by your doctor on or after May 1 for the upcoming school year and you must be submit it to the activities office before the first day of tryouts for the corresponding sport.
- 8. If this is a summer move, start working on the required summer assignments. Most Advanced Placement (AP) and honors courses have assignments.