Appointments Available for New Student Registration for 2013-2014
The registration process has begun for the upcoming 2013-2014 school year. (Kindergarteners must be 5 years-old on or before September 30, 2013 and all students registering must reside within our boundaries) We prefer registration by appointment and ask that you have all required documentation and forms completely filled out, signed, and dated to make the process as quick and smooth as possible. For more information, links to registration requirements and forms, and to select an appointment time please click the “Sign Up Now” button below. Thank you and we look forward to meeting with you soon!
Required Tdap Vaccination for Rising 6th Graders
Sixth graders cannot begin school in the fall without documentation of having had the Tdap booster or having had a tetanus-containing vaccine within the past five years.
- If your child is 11 years old, he or she should get the Tdap immunization, and documentation must be provided to the school.
- If your child is still 10 years old, he or she may receive the Tdap vaccine, Boostrix, which is approved for 10 years old, or you may wait until the 11th birthday to receive the vaccine approved for 11-year-olds however, documentation of a scheduled date for vaccination from the doctor’s office is required (see below).
- If your child’s 11th birthday is after the first day of school, your child must have a medical exemption from the doctor stating when he or she has a scheduled appointment to receive the Tdap immunization in order to attend school.
- Documentation must be turned into the school by June 18, 2013.
Please contact the school public health nurse at 703-704-6122 if you have any questions.
- Survey of Preschool Students for Kindergarten Enrollment
- HES Mobile App is now available! Click here for more information
School House News (5.9.13)
- Assistant Principal Message
- Teacher Requests
- Field Day, K-Grade 2
- Kindergarten Orientation
What's Cool About Our School?
Hayfield Elementary School opened in 1967 on the Hayfield Farm portion of George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate.
It serves over six hundred students in kindergarten through grade six. Fairfax County completed Hayfield’s building renewal in 2003 providing the community with a beautiful 21st century building.
The school takes special pride in creating a unique learning environment where all students are valued. Talented and dedicated staff members strive to create a climate of academic excellence. Literacy is fostered through a wide range of reading and writing experiences for information and pleasure. Watch a VIDEO to learn more!
News and Press Releases
Service Learning at HES- Sixth graders at Hayfield recently performed their interpretation of The Whispering Cloth, a book by Pegi Deitz Shea that tells the story of a Hmong refugee girl who learns how to tell her own story as she makes a traditional Hmong story cloth. The students at Hayfield not only narrated the book but also added song, musical instruments, dance, and improvisation.
First Lady Michelle Obama joins the cast of "iCARLY" at Hayfield Secondary! Her visit promoted an iCARLY episode where she extends her gratitude to those from military families who make sacrifices every day.
Hayfield was featured on WUSA 9 News and WTOP radio! Fourth graders from Miss Fisher's 4th grade class brainstormed ways to clean up the oil spill in the gulf and wrote letters to BP. For the complete article visit: Fourth Graders Offer BP A Variety Of Ideas To Stop, Clean Up Oil Leak. Listen to the podcasts from Kate Ryan, reporter for WTOP 103.5 fm: clip 1|clip 2
School Scene Video: Second graders celebrating Mexican Fiesta Day on FCPS TV! Click here!
This portrait of George Washington was donated to Hayfield ES by the Mount Vernon Ladies Association. It was dedicated on November 11, 2008. The portrait celebrates the connection to George Washington and the Mount Vernon Estate.