The following is an exerpt from The Springfield & Franconia Times, January 31, 1973, by Barbara Lovelace: "To some Franconia residents this brief history is a familiar part of their lives. Those who are new to the Springfield-Franconia area might like to go back to the year 1872.
During the year of 1872 Franconia saw its first public school built. The school was the second house before the railroad bridge. The house still stands on the original spot and looks exactly as it did at the time with the exception of the picture window in the front. Originally the school was gray and is now painted green. Boys at that time used to play ball on the west side of the house in the potato patch.
You cannot mention the history of Franconia Elementary School without including the name of Higham. Mrs. Kathie Higham, who has lived in Franconia since 1916 owned the property that the...school stands on. In 1916 Mr. and Mrs. Higham bought a farm with about 50 acres and moved into the white farm house. The Higham's called their farm "Twin Oaks" and their home was located four doors up from the school on Franconia Road.
...In 1931, while Mr. Woodson was head of school, Mrs. Higham sold about two acres of her farm to Fairfax County and the school started as a four room schoolhouse with an auditorium. Fairfax County later purchased two more acres for the playground. When school was dedicated on January 29, 1932 the students numbered 114.
Building additions have been made to the school in 1938, 1948, 1953, and 1956. The end of 1972 saw the completion of a new wing housing office, library and classrooms."