Guidance - Parent Resources
Child Supervision Guidelines:
Should not be left alone for any period of time. This may include leaving children unattended in cars, playgrounds and backyards. The determining consideration would be the dangers in the environment and the ability of the caretaker to intervene.
Should not be left alone for more that 1 ½ hours and only during daylight and early evening hours.
May be left alone for up to 3 hours but not late at night or in circumstances requiring inappropriate responsibility.
May be left unsupervised, but not overnight.
May be left unsupervised. In some cases, for up to two consecutive overnight periods.
Links to an overview of Counseling Services in Fairfax County:
Link to the Parent Resource Center of Fairfax County
Link to an article on "Friendship and the ADHD Child"
Link to articles on free parenting resources for Military Families
Link to the Fairfax County Library Catalog
Fairfax County Department of Family Services:
www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dfs or (703) 324 -7500
- Protecting the vulnerable – children, senior and adults with disabilities.
- Providing affordable, quality child care and resources for early child education.
- Helping senior and adults with disabilities maintain their independence.
- Helping individuals and families become self-sufficient.
- Supporting and strengthening families.
Coordinated Services Planning:
(703) 222 – 0880; (703) 803 – 7914 ( TDD / TTY ); Mon. – Fri.: 8:00 – 4:30 p.m.
To speak to a social worker for information about:
- help with rent
- obtaining food, clothing, housing, and transportation
- care of children, elderly relatives, and persons with disabilities
- health care services – medical, dental, pregnancy, and family planning
- job training, employment, education, legal assistance, and English for speakers of other languages
- recreational activities for all ages and those with special needs
- …and much more!
Information about ADD / ADHD
This web page contains links to one or more pages that are outside the FCPS network.
FCPS does not control the content or relevancy of these pages.