Leslie Astley - Department Chair
Cody Ann Robinson
World and national events bring a kaleidoscope of life to Social Studies Department classrooms. Social Studies classes based on an SOL curriculum are an education for life. Students are required to take four Social Studies credits for graduation. Students take World History I in 9th grade, World History II in 10th grade, US &Va. History in 11th grade and US & Va, Government in 12th grade. .Grades 9-11 have end of course SOL testing. Advanced Placement level classes are available from 10th to 12th grade for World History, US History and US Government. Students in grade 9 may take Honors. Enrollment is open and designed to challenge all students, Electives are available in Psychology, AP Psychology and World Concepts.
To prepare the next generation to be productive, active and effective citizens in our community.
To do this we need to help students:
- Make well thought out, rational decisions thus developing critical thinking.
- Develop life skills, like punctuality and time management needed for work or college.
- Feel safe and secure at school.
- By giving the opportunity for freedom of expression and developing interpersonal communication skills.
- Develop knowledge and habits of the mind that supports them in the work place and at higher levels of learning.
The Social Studies Department sees Falls Church High School as a place:
- Where everyone works together.
- Where a safe setting for learning and social interaction is provided.
- Where all students are challenged and encouraged to do all and be all they can be.
- Where teachers and students are supported and respected.
- Where an introduction to historical and political discourse will help students appreciate our diverse world and community.
- World History and Geography I 9th grade
- World History and Geography II 10th grade
- US & VA History 11th grade
- US & VA Government 12th grade
- Honors World History and Geography I - 9th grade
- Adapted World History and Geography I - adapted for ESOL students
- AP and Honors options for the 10th, 11th, and 12th grade courses
- Psychology 11-12th grade
- AP Psychology
- AP Human Geography
- Current Affairs
The following are various resources that we found helpful to our students:
FCPS Social Studies Page
FCPS SOL Training & Remediation Page
This web page may contain links to one or more pages that are outside the FCPS network. FCPS does not control the content or relevancy of these pages.