AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination. This unique program is designed to increase school wide learning and performance.
The mission of the Falls Church High School AVID program is to ensure that students “in the middle” who have the potential to be successful in a college preparatory path will:
- Succeed in a rigorous curriculum.
- Enroll in four-year colleges.
- Enter mainstream activities of the school.
- Become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society.
The vision of the Falls Church High School AVID program is to achieve the following objectives:
- To enroll students in honors and advanced classes and to support them in being successful in a rigorous college preparatory program of studies.
- To help students develop the study habits and academic skills needed to succeed in college preparatory courses and college.
- To foster positive attitudes toward school and higher education.
- To help students become knowledgeable about colleges, develop a plan to get into college, research financial aid plans and scholarship programs, and apply to a variety of appropriate colleges and universities.
- To achieve enrollment in a four-year college or university upon graduation from high school.
- To ensure that the presidents and admission officers of public and private colleges and universities are aware of AVID and the caliber of AVID students.
AVID Information Letters:
Stay informed regarding AVID by reading the letters from the AVID coordinator Mr. Francis Payne:
Welcome to AVID Letter
Information for 2012-2013 AVID
The following are various resources that we found helpful to our students:
FCPS AVID Page
FCHS Career Center Page
FCHS Guidance Page
The Official AVID Website
This web page may contain links to one or more pages that are outside the FCPS network. FCPS does not control the content or relevancy of these pages.