Clifton Elementary School will celebrate its legacy of academic achievement, cherished memories, and its relationship with the Clifton community during an open house on Friday, June 17, from 5:00 until 7:00 p.m. Student artwork and writing will be on display, along with memorabilia from previous years. There will be a multimedia presentation along with music and light refreshments. All former and current Clifton Elementary School students, staff, parents, and community members are invited to attend the event. Due to parking constraints, please park in town and walk up the hill to the school if at all possible. Please contact the school office at 703-988-8000 for further information.
Please use the boundary maps below to determine school placements for next year. If you have questions, please call (703)988-8000 for help in locating your child's school for next year.:
1. When will Clifton Elementary close?
Clifton Elementary will close on June 30.
2. Will the school building or grounds be available after June 30 for public use (e.g. meetings,
athletics, field activities, elections, etc.)?
FCPS is considering community use for athletic programs through the Fairfax County Department of
Neighborhood and Community Services only. FCPS does not have funds to continue operating the
building other than grounds maintenance.
3. What schools will Clifton area students attend?
Depending on their address, Clifton area students will attend either Union Mill Elementary, Oak
View Elementary, or Fairview Elementary. Those who live or move to the Clifton area can call 571‐
423‐1160 for their school assignment.
4. Where will Clifton students in the Advanced Academic Placement (AAP) program attend school?
• Clifton students assigned to Union Mill will attend the AAP centers at Willow Springs Elementary
and Rocky Run Middle School.
• Clifton students assigned to Oak View will attend the AAP centers at Willow Springs Elementary
and Lake Braddock Secondary School.
• Clifton students assigned to Fairview will attend the AAP centers at White Oaks Elementary and
Lake Braddock Secondary School.
5. Will resources, including library books, academic materials, and technology tools purchased by
Clifton Elementary or acquired from donations and fundraising efforts be transferred to the
elementary schools Clifton area students will be attending?
All instructional materials, including computers and smartboards, will follow the students to their
new schools. Instructional Services has worked with Clifton Elementary staff to develop plans for
distributing materials among the receiving schools. Teachers in those schools will have increased
tools and materials to continue to provide Clifton students with a rigorous and engaging curriculum.
6. What happens to a balance on students’ lunch money account?
The cafeteria PIN number and account balance will automatically move to the new school with the
7. What efforts are being taken by FCPS to preserve the historical significance of Clifton Elementary?
FCPS is cooperating with town leaders to preserve Clifton school artifacts for the town museum
8. How will the school and grounds be protected while not in use?
FCPS will continue to maintain the grounds as we do now. In addition, the FCPS Office of Safety and
Security Services will continue to monitor the property as they do all FCPS properties, including
routine drive checks. Neighbors and citizens with concerns about suspicious activity on the school
grounds should contact safety and security at 571‐423‐2000 or 911 in an emergency.
9. What are FCPS plans for the school building or school property? Is FCPS seeking a tenant or owner
for the building and land?
The property will remain in the FCPS inventory. The school system would prefer to find a viable
tenant for the building.
10. How can former Clifton Elementary students retrieve their school records?
The FCPS Document Management Department maintains all school records. A written request
signed by the parent (or eligible student) is required to provide copies of records for former Clifton
Elementary students unless the request is from a K‐12 school where the former student is enrolling.
If the former student attends another school within FCPS after attending Clifton Elementary, he or
she should contact the last school attended. Document management is located at 3701 Franconia Road, Alexandria, VA 22310. For more information, call 703 329‐7741.
11. What will happen to current Clifton Elementary staff members?
Teachers and support staff members are seeking positions in other schools with the assistance of
the Department of Human Resources.
12. Will the school’s Learning Garden be cared for over the summer?
FCPS grounds maintenance will maintain the garden until its transfer in September to the receiving