Welcome to Cherry Run Elementary
October 20th - 24th - Fall Book Fair
October 21 - First Day to bring in Decorated Pumpkins
Students who are interested in participating in our decorated "pumpkin patch" should bring in their pumpkin before school on Tuesday (10/21), Wednesday (10/22), or Thursday (10/23). Pumpkins will be on display at the Book Fair and Fall Festival. All participants will receive a small prize and be entered into a raffle for additional prizes. Please label your pumpkin with name/grade. BE CREATIVE!!! Some of the categories include: Scariest, Silliest, Sportiest, Most School Spirit, Best Character, Most Artistic, and Other. Do not carve or cut your pumpkin in anyway. All pumpkins should be taken home after the Fall Festival on Friday.
"The World Would be a Better Place If…" Art Contest Entries Due to Mrs. Agner or Mrs. Rodas
There is still time if you would like to get a “Reflections” entry form from Mrs. Rodas in the Art Room. She has a poster explaining how “Reflections” works up in her room. Students in Pre-K through Grade 12 create theme-based artwork in dance choreography, film production, literature, musical composition, photography or visual arts. Students must create original work. All entries are due Thursday, October 23, 2014. http://www.pta.org/programs/ArtsinEducation.cfm?navItemNumber=510
Questions, contact Mrs. Agner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SCA “Drug-Free Slogan Poster Contest” Entries Due to Ms. Hurley by 9 a.m.
Posters can contain any (school appropriate) anti-drug slogan or theme. Be a hero, not a zero, take a stand for a drug free land! Be smart and don’t start! Make up your own! Prizes will be awarded at each grade level! Poster due to Ms. Hurley by 9 a.m. on Friday, Oct. 24.
October 24th - Fall Festival (6:30 - 8:30 p.m.)
Fall Festival is Friday, Oct. 24, from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the school. Come enjoy face painting, tattoos, DJ, food (available for purchase – food trucks), browsing through the books, and remember to wear your costume! Also, raffle prizes will be awarded during the evening to students who have participated by decorating a pumpkin for the Cherry Run Pumpkin Patch (all entries must be turned in by Friday morning, Oct. 23). Pumpkins will be displayed by category: scariest, silliest, sportiest, most school spirit, best character, most artistic, and other. Please remember to label your pumpkin with your name and grade and do not carve or puncture or we will not be able to accept them. We need lots of volunteers to make the evening a success – if you are interested in helping before, during, or after the event, please contact PTA Fall Festival Chair Laura Jane Cohen at email@example.com. Hope you can come and join the fun!
Oct. 31 – Wear Black and Orange AND 2-Hour Early Release
Please have your child wear orange and black on Friday, Oct. 31, as the Cherry Run Cardinals say BOO to drugs! Also, it is a 2-hour early student release day because it is the end of the first quarter! Students will be released at 1:40 p.m.
FCPS Google Apps for Education (GAE) is an integrated communication and collaboration solution, hosted by Google and managed by FCPS. GAE allows FCPS students to communicate, store files and collaborate with other students on documents, spreadsheets, and presentations in real time from school or home. FCPS Google Apps is not accessible by anyone outside of FCPS, so your child will be able to work and collaborate in a safe and secure online environment. Please click the link above to read important information put out by FCPS about GAE.
The FCPS Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program allows students and staff at Cherry Run to access our wireless network with their personal devices (laptops, netbooks, tablets, smart phones, etc) during the school day for educational purposes. Students may use their own devices to access the internet and collaborate with other students in the classroom. Participating is OPTIONAL.
Please click here to read more information about FCPS BYOD policy.
- Students/parents are responsible for the security, maintenance, and repair of the device.
- FCPS staff will not store, support, repair, or troubleshoot student owned devices.
- Device must be fully charged prior to bringing it to school (no charging during the school day).
- Student must know how to use device and will connect to the FCPSmobile WiFi using their FCPS domain login.
- Students are bound to and must comply with FCPS Regulations 6410, 2601, 6401, and DIT Technical Bulletin 302 while on FCPS property, involved in any FCPS sponsored event/activity, or when using FCPS resources, regardless of who owns the computer or device used by student or how it is connected.
- The FCPS Acceptable Use Policy in the Student Rights and Responsibilities now includes permission for BYOD.
- Teacher discretion if/when a student is allowed to use their BYOD for instructional use, which does not include phone calls, texting, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Device free zones: hallways, cafeteria, recess, restrooms, field trips.
Mental Health Resource Information: